The monastery was completely abandoned during the Ottoman occupation. Decades of persistent work, beginning in the 1690s, finally succeeded in creating the conditions for the permanent return of the Benedictine monastic community. Our excavations have revealed an interesting aspect of the construction work conducted during this period. Two wall stumps with toothed edges and a foundation trench, backfilled without being used, indicate a construction project that had been started but not completed. The exact reason for the interruption is not known. It is possible that it is related to the event when the abbot of Bakonybél was forced to continue the building of a chapel, started in 1719, with a master builder from Győr instead of one from Pápa after two years of construction, because the building had allegedly collapsed. In any case, this forced change of plan is a stroke of luck for posterity, as otherwise the current abbey would stand directly above the centuries-old ruins. Instead, the remains of the medieval wings of the building